When we were given the animation assignment my first plan was to try out the facilities in the animation lab at school, but because I am a procrastination panda (as attested by the frequency with which I update this blog) I found myself running out of time. Instead of trying to assemble the hundred or so frames that a few second video would take, or trying to be really clever with my animation techniques to cut down on frames, I decided to use 3ds Max. It was the ease with which one can animate in Max that initially drew me away from traditional animation years ago so I figured it was a fairly safe bet. Years of having not used it coupled with years of changed to the software conspired to make it no faster than traditional animation, but at least it was far less monotonous.
To create "Blob Splash" I wound up making most of two animations. The first consisted mostly of my finding my footing again. It wound up getting scrapped in the end because I was finding that having arms on the figure was simply more trouble then it was worth. The second animation is the one I ultimately used, which, while having its fair share of problems did go far smoother than the first. The biggest problem I had in "Blob Splash" can when I tried to rig the Blob. I initially only put a skeletal structure in the legs, which meant that the program extended the envelops of the hip bones all the way up through the body, so that the whole thing would twist with each step. Adding a skeleton for the rest of the body solved this problem.
No comments:
Post a Comment